Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Butternut Squash -There is a point

Actually there are many points or factors to this.

1. Years ago we received a subscription to a Cookbook digest with an unknown origin.

2. Last year my Brother offered squash from his garden. I picked Butternut Squash throwing the unwanted seeds on our compost pile. This resulted in a crop of volunteer butternut squash plants late in the spring. It produced a nice crop of squash.

3. Last Monday, I had a tooth pulled which results in, living on soup and food that doesn't require chewing. (mashed potato)

4. It is now quite chilly (down right cold) outside so the furnace has been 'kicking on' constantly.

5. Since it is not that busy at work I have more days off which gives me more than enough time to cook/bake. Baking produces heat in addition to the job of keeping the fireplace hot. (the furnace is not running 'on my watch'.)

Put these points all together.

We are making; Butternut Squash Soup Portuguese Style from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups of the Cookbook Digest. I have to share the recipe. (Kirk likes it!)

6 tablespoons olive oil
3 onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut in chunks.
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
7 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup freshly minced parsley
fresh thyme leaves as garnish.

Ok, now I should give the directions on how to put this together. I'm not going to.
This is soup folks.
I found it much easier to cut squash in half (take seeds out and plant) bake squash (to produce heat) if cooked too long (because you are on computer) skin peels off very easily (rather than trying to peel/chunk it before being cooked) If you forgot the potato. Leftover mashed potato from yesterdays meal works. One carrot? I put in at least three big ones since that may be the only way I can get Kirk to eat carrots. (I baked them with onions and garlic).
Throw it all together in a pot and let it simmer until the first one get hungry.

It taste great! I think any country that can grow butternut squash can claim this recipe.

No comments:

Blog Archive